Women play a pivotal role in the success of a company. Sadly, women themselves do not recognize this. You need to know how to use your skills properly so that you advance in your career and not sidestep it. Here’s what you shouldn’t do:
- Don’t forget yourself while paying attention to others. Women are naturally nurturing and forget themselves completely. See, it is great to be so caring but it can get really bad later. It is not wrong to ask for help. If you keep saying yes to everything people ask you, people will take advantage of you.
- Forgetting everyone by thinking about yourself. Both extremes are bad! You can’t just focus on yourself and ignore everyone around you. That’s a red signal right there. It will not let you grow at all. You may be good but that doesn’t mean you doubt others and overreact to everything.
- Not taking initiative. Many women wait for approval before taking a step. This shows lack of confidence and will affect your chances of a promotion.
- Not having an action plan. If you create a goal and not a plan to reach that goal you are in trouble. You have to be realistic and have a solid action plan to execute it.
- Don’t, just don’t! Flirting with men to climb up the ladder is cheap. It will help you short-term but it will hamper your growth very significantly.
Avoid these things and reach the stars!
Image Credits: Poike/ iStock/ Thinkstock Photos
Bully at the workplace? You’ll find many such people no matter where you go. Thus, the safest thing to do is to learn how to deal with them. There are a few traps, though, that might come in the way. Let us identify them and fight them:
- Denial: The more you deny it the worse it gets. If someone’s attacking you, the first thing to do is realize what’s happening. Nothing good ever comes out of “waiting it out.”
- Reaction: Do not let a bully ever control your actions. Bullies will make your life difficult but if you react, things will get worse. Learn to ignore them and control your emotions. Acting out according to what they say makes it worse.
- Chasing: Don’t spend (read waste) energy on useless thoughts and actions. Do not chase your bully and try to overcome him/her. The less you react, the less fuel you give.
If it is getting out of hand, there is no harm in talking to a superior about it.
Image Credits: LittleBee80/ iStock/ Thinkstock Photos
What you wear to work, has quite evolved in the last couple of years owing to the increasingly lesser gap between what is considered formal and what casual considering start-ups popping up everywhere. But no matter what, certain principles regarding dressing to work always hold weight. Here’s how you can dress to impress at an interview.
- Hygiene! That’s the primary thing you have to keep in your mind. Make sure you shower before you attend the interview, have clean and trimmed nails, and the behind of your ears almost shine.
- Research well on the company that you are attending, and their work culture. That will give you hints on what will look most appropriate, and what wont.
- Whatever you choose to wear, make sure it’s neatly laundered and well pressed. Wrinkly outfit will give out the impression that you are careless and lazy.
- Keep colours subtle and neutral. Dark blue, brown, black, white and beige are safe combinations (turn a blind eye to the bright neon shades in your closet).
- Keep your accessories to the minimal. Just one or two statement pieces should do. Don’t go all bling bling. For guys, a neat watch and for girls…maybe they can add a pair of earrings.
- Wear you perfume well. Don’t spray too much or too less. Spraying an hour before the interview is a good time for the perfume to work with your skin and become less overwhelming.
- Lastly keep your hair neat. Tame the flyways and trim the split ends
Now go impress your boss! All the best!
Image Credits: AlexRaths/ iStock/ Thinkstock Photos
Women have proven to be just as competitive as men and even more so in many cases.
Some women have the ability to handle even very difficult tasks with utmost ease. It makes others wonder how they can manage so much and so many things together!
Well, here are a few secrets revealed:
- They don’t commit when they are doubtful. Successful women make it a point to keep their promises because they know that breaking promises is very irresponsible.
- Successful women know how important it is to grow your network. They know how to gel with different types of people and learn from each relationship.
- Successful women are creative and usually think out of the box. They question things and come up with answers so that they stand out. They are highly passionate.
- They also keep a close tab on their finances. They keep an eye on the money they earn and how much they spend. They are also very smart about saving.
- At the end of the day, women must balance personal life and work life, and professional successful women know how to do that. The trick here is to understand your priorities and to work accordingly.
Image Credits: One Laptop per Child
High heels and confidence go hand in hand? Evidently.
A recent study showed that more than half of the women feel more confident when they wear heels. This is why they immediately change into high heels when they have to attend an important meeting or an event. Heels are also apparently more professional than flats. They say heels may them look good and feel good, which is why they automatically feel more confident. These are the same women who know very high heels are not good for them and can cause them a lot of pain. Even then they would not trade heels for flats.
According to the study, many women said that they would stop wearing heels only if they absolutely had to and had no other go.
However, it does get too much after a point of time. How high is too high? That depends on the heel height that you can manage without stumbling, tripping, and may be even falling.
Shoes do matter. They may be superficial but they matter. Too much can be too bad, though, which is why you should make your choice carefully. Don’t overly compromise your comfort to look good. Also, don’t neglect the way you look completely in order to stay in your comfort zone.
Image Credits: Emilian Robert Vicol
A resume is highly important.
It is a representation of who you are and conveys why you should be selected for the job. A lot rides on that single document.
Thus, you can’t take your resume lightly. It has to be top-notch if you want it to stand apart from the crowd. How can you ensure that? You can ensure that by following these tips:
- No need of paper: Gone are the days when you had to do everything on paper. It is time to do things in accordance with the technology. This is why you shouldn’t even think about paper. You should think about a video resume. A short video will tell your employers exactly what they need to know about you. Multimedia will easily catch the eye, believe you me. However, you shouldn’t always go for a video resume. A few jobs don’t call for one.
- Success: Your resume should showcase how successful you have been until now. You may have done a lot previously but just mentioning that in your resume will not help. You should highlight the success you achieved in each job.
- Keep it short: No one has the time to go through pages and pages of resume. Your resume has to be short and precise with only the important points highlighted. If you add everything and anything possible, it will backfire on you.
- Focus on the details: It is the seemingly small things that make the biggest difference. Don’t title your resume as resume, for example. It will get lost in the employer’s computer. Title it as your name and then resume. That will make more sense. Also, conduct spellchecks every time you open your resume or update it. Proofreading is an absolute must.
Photo Credits: CharlotWest
Batteries are not meant to be tossed away along with the garbage. You can’t even toss them into the recycling bin. This is because they are harmful. They have heavy metals such as mercury and lead, and these can easily contaminate water.
Here is what you can do to dispose off used batteries:
- You should go to battery retailers to dispose off household batteries. Save a few old batteries and then make trip to dispose them all. Also, be very sure to keep the used batteries away from kids. Tape the ends of the batteries, too.
- You should do the same with rechargeable batteries and you should actually be more careful with them because these could be more harmful. You don’t want to risk having them lying around in the house or ending up in the landfills!
- Take your car batteries to the auto shops for recycling. The best thing about these car batteries is that even the plastic case and the lead acid can be recycled.
- Return the cell phone, PDA, and computer batteries to the manufacturer and he will discard them for you.
Photo Credits: deanj
If you are a boss, you should make an effort to be a good one. A good boss creates a healthy working environment that benefits the entire company. Here are a few tips:
1. Don’t micromanage: Don’t put your employees under constant scrutiny and watch every move they make. Trust them to complete the work on time without being after them. If someone takes way too many breaks or is always late, talk to him personally. Be good.
2. Be there: You should always be willing to help your employees. You should available for them because they might need you at any point of time and your absence will be nothing short of frustrating. If you are
going to be absent, let your employees know about it.
3. Be a friend: Let your employees know that you value them and care for them. This is very important. During meetings with individual employees, start off with a casual talk before getting to the point. Talk about goals in the company and outside too.
4. Appreciate: Your employees work really hard and they deserve to be appreciated. A few sound words or a pat on the back can help them. Encouragement will also lead them to work better for you. You can sometimes take your team out for lunch too.
Whether it is a date or an important meeting, body language plays a pivotal role. Even if you are nervous, it is important to showcase some confidence. It may be difficult to do so when you are literally trembling due to the nervousness but there is no getting away with it. You don’t need to worry so much about it because it is not impossible. Au contraire, it is actually quite easy. You just need to focus and follow the following tips:
1. Don’t ever fidget. Fidgeting is the classic sign of nervousness. So keep your hands away from your hair. Don’t tap your fingers or shake your leg continuously.
2. Crossing your arms will make you look like you are guarding yourself from something and are not likely to open up. Be more approachable. Don’t cross your arms.
3. Sit straight and stand tall. No slouching. Slouching shows lack of confidence. However, don’t go to the extreme and sit rigid. Relax and sit confidently.
4. Don’t do things fast. When you are nervous, you tend to talk faster. Thus, focus and talk at an acceptable pace. If you talk fast, you will fumble, forget, and end up in a mess.
5. Smile. It is very simple and can help you oodles. Lighten up, loosen your strings, and smile. However, don’t go laughing uselessly at everything. No self-deprecating humor; it will make you come across as needy.
6. Maintain eye contact but not so much that it qualifies as staring. When you are talking to him, make sure you look him in the eye but otherwise.
This holiday season is not just about food, frolic, and fun. It is also about giving and doing good for others. Here’s what you can do:
1. Organize a food drive with your loved ones. You will be giving back to the community along with developing skills at the organizational and leadership levels. Look for a food bank for help. They will have clear guidelines about the food they accept and pick up.
2. Why not bake cookies for soldiers? Pack them tightly and with lot of padding so that they reach them safely.
3. Sponsor a holiday meal. There are organizations, which offer opportunities for sponsoring holiday meals to those who are not as privileged as we are.
4. Community gardens are also a great idea. Teach kids about food and how to grow it. Volunteers will help your kids learn everything from gardening to manning.
5. If your holiday is too hectic to do anything and yet you want to do good, donate. That is the best you can do.