We all (well almost) want to lose some weight and we all want to get fitter, but the brownies in our oven, the chocolates in our pantry, the candies just about everywhere and the likes, never allow us to achieve that. Your sweet tooth is the culprit here. Sugar cravings can be quite overwhelming.
If your sweet tooth is bothering you, here’s what you should do:
- If you have it, you will eat it. Stop buying sugary junk food in the first place. You are more unlikely to drive down to a store to buy stuff, if you don’t have it around to satisfy your cravings. Stock up on healthy foods instead, such as fresh fruits, yoghurt, and granola bars.
- Avoid staying hungry, for unusually long periods of time. They intensify sugar cravings like no other.
- When you are badly craving sugar, brush your teeth! Works well to temporarily calm down the craving. What’s more, you get time to avert your craving.
- Gorge on some delicious fruit. They contain natural sugars to satisfy your cravings, and also nourish your body with vitamins, minerals, and fibre. Wise option. No?
Now no stopping you from achieving your fitness goals!
Image Credits: Voyagerix/ iStock/ Thinkstock Photos
Allergy season is a nightmare for many! You never know when your eyes could start watering or your nose could swell up. Some people even have rashes, breathing issues, suffocation, and other problems due to allergies. There are many triggers, which is why your best bet would be to take precautions instead of resorting to medication.
While medicines help, you shouldn’t really choose them when there are ways to prevent allergies altogether. Simple measures will enable you to keep allergies at bay even through the warmer season! The warmer season is generally dubbed as the allergy season because of the fact that pollen thrives in summer. No matter what it may be, you have to do your part and stay safe. Here are tips for you:
- Close windows and stay safe. Prevent pollen from entering home altogether.
- Make it a point to wear wide-brimmed hats. These are fashionable and protective!
- Always remove your shoes before entering your house.
- Shower before going to sleep.
These seemingly simple steps will help you a lot in this season!
Image Credits: IvanMikhaylov/ iStock/ Thinkstock Photos
Health comes in a family, we believe.
If you incorporate good habits in the entire family right from the start there is no reason why your kids will grow up to be unhealthy. Kids need to be molded in the right direction so that they develop healthy habits that stick with them.
- Improve your habits. Your kids look to you to learn and grow and if you have bad habits, they will develop the same. Eat good food and follow healthy habits, thus.
- You may be very busy through the day but make sure you all come together during dinnertime. The entire family should have dinner together. Your kids will develop that habit and never indulge in on-the-go meals. This will also help you get closer as a family.
- Start exercising as a family. If you incorporate it like that your kids will get used to it and will more likely exercise on their own after they grow up.
- Teach your kids the importance of cooking so that they avoid eating food from outdoors as much as possible. Homemade food is the healthiest.
- Make it a habit for your kids to eat fruits and vegetables everyday.
Image Credits: AlexRaths/ iStock/ Thinkstock Photos
Heart attacks! Common and scary.
In such cases, just like in every other case, prevention is much better than cure. Even the thought of a heart attack can be scary and daunting. Why not take measures to prevent it, then? With a few informed measures you can keep this heart problem at bay.
- Understand your risks: Are you at risk of heart attack? We all are but based on family history and medical history, some people are more at risk than the others. Understand where you stand so that you take the required measures with ease.
- Stop smoking: Yes, we know you are tired of listening to this warning all the time but it is true that smoking causes too many health issues. It actually increases the risk of heart disease significantly. This means that once you stop smoking, the risk of heart disease will be halved.
- Start exercising: By exercising everyday you can reduce chances of heart attacks as well as numerous other diseases. Stay fit and stay healthy!
- Don’t stress: Do not stress too much. Stress has been known to cause a number of problems. Stop taking stress, relax, and take good care of your health and your risks will come down automatically.
Image Credits: hxdbzxy/ iStock/ Thinkstock Photos
Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise!
We live in such hectic times that sleeping early and waking up early seem nearly impossible. There is so much to do each day that nothing seems to be enough. However, if you time your work properly and use a few tips each day, you will be able to wake up early and feel fresh all day!
- Wake up and stretch. Stretching will help you improve focus and will energize your body at the same time. Once you get out of bed, it is advisable that you start exercising immediately. Exercise will get your blood pumping and the great blood circulation will give you a great start to the day.
- Start your day with coffee or tea but don’t keep drinking it through the day because too much caffeine can hinder your sleep pattern. 2 cups are more than enough.
- Drink lots of cold water as soon as you wake up. This will rehydrate your body and compensate the dehydration it faced while you were asleep.
- Set your biological clock straight. Make it a point to sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time. Initially you may require an alarm clock but after a few days your body will adjust to the new sleep pattern and you will be able to follow the same schedule.
- Do not skip breakfast. Breakfast is important because it gives you energy and helps you kickstart the day. You starved all night and now is the time to eat well. Even just a fruit is enough. Eat and you’ll automatically feel energetic.
We have seen a number of experts speak of what to do to your body but barely any point out the things that you shouldn’t do.
More than what don’t do right, what you do wrong hurts your body. Thus, if you’d like to improve your health, you would have to first understand what you have been doing wrong to your body until now and then slowly work to stop doing all that.
Since not many have taken the initiative to do that, we are here to help you:
- Bad sleep timings: Going to bed late and waking up way too early are both bad for health. The mantra is to sleep early and wake up early and if you don’t follow it you will end up feeling particularly cranky the entire day. You have to sleep well so that your body gets the rest it deserves and also so that it maintains good health.
- Not drinking enough water: Dehydration is one of the worst things you could do to yourself. Dehydration will cause headache, dizziness, sluggishness, and muscle cramps, ruining the entire day for you. Always carry a water bottle with you and make it a point to keep consuming water.
- Not eating breakfast: Your body starved through the night while you were asleep and every morning you decide to starve it even more by depriving it of breakfast. That is repellent. Without breakfast your body will be lethargic and dull because it doesn’t have the nutrients it needs to power start your day.
Image Credits: Ed Yourdon
Tomatoes are nutritious, delicious, and juicy.
An integral part of many cuisines such as Italian and Indian, tomatoes come with numerous benefits, which is why it is advisable that you incorporate them in your diet even though you are not Italian!
One cup of tomatoes contains lots of fiber, minerals, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin K, and vitamin A, and 32 calories in total. The most important thing in tomatoes is the lycopene. It is an antioxidant and it is the absolute star that makes this vegetable (tomato is actually a fruit) so healthy.
Eating raw tomatoes is a good idea but if you cook them you will be able to take full advantage because it will be much easier for you to absorb the lycopene. Cooked tomatoes also make more lycopene available for absorption. Health experts say that cooking tomatoes in olive oil is the best thing to do. Doing so will help you fight against a number of diseases such as osteoporosis and heart disease.
Apparently, tomatoes also avoid breast cancer, which is why doctors suggest a tomato-rich diet for women in their menopausal phase.
To take complete advantage of the benefits of tomatoes, it is ideal to buy organic tomatoes only.
Image Credits: photon_de
Breast cancer is becoming increasing common and that is extremely scary.
This is why it is ideal to brace yourself and try preventing it as much as possible. Even though experts say that there are no surefire ways of eliminating the risk, you can definitely reduce the plausibility by taking a few steps and improving your way of life.
- Studies have shown that obesity increases the risk of breast cancer. That is why it is advisable to work on losing weight.
- It is very important to watch your diet and to start eating properly. Focus on eating a balanced diet with fruits and vegetables. Include low-fat proteins and whole grains as well.
- Start exercising. You need to have physical activity. Start with small exercises such as walking or jogging and increase the level gradually. Take a few minutes out everyday so that you stay fit and exercise well.
- Alcohol consumption is another major problem. While occasional drinking is fine, regular and obsessive drinking can be very harmful. Don’t drink more than one glass of alcohol per day.
- While smoking is very harmful, you should know that second-hand smoke is also very harmful. Therefore it is advisable that you strictly stay away from second-hand smoke as well.
Image Credits: khrawlings
Heart attacks are often portrayed as sudden and highly painful. That is not always the case. They may also be slow, mild, and uncomfortable.
Some people have all the wrong notions about heart attacks while others are not sure about the actual signs. Let me clear the air for you by telling you about the exact signs so that you know how to spot it and call 911 immediately.
- Chest Pain: The patient will feel discomfort and pain right in the middle of the chest. This discomfort will come and go at times or it will stay for a few minutes. The patient may feel ‘squeezing’ and pressure.
- Upper Body Discomfort: Besides chest, the entire upper body may feel pressurized. The patient’s stomach, jaw, neck, back, and arms may also start paining during a heart attack.
- Nausea: The patient will go through dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and upset stomach. He or she may also feel fatigue and break into cold sweating.
- Shortness of Breath: The patient may find it very difficult to breathe. It may feel like he or she is having an anxiety attack. Shortness of breath during a heart attack may not necessarily be accompanied by chest discomfort. Therefore, you shouldn’t take it lightly.
For women, chest discomfort is the most common symptom just like with men but with women nausea and vomiting are more prevalent.
Image Credits: John Kavanagh
Cancer threats are looming over us and they are simply getting worse by the way.
In one-way or the other, we are all under the risk of one type of cancer or the other. The least we can do is check out ways to cut those risks down. The easiest way to do so is to eat right.
There are apparently a few foods that will help you fight cancer risk effectively. Some such foods are as follows:
- Garlic: Garlic is among the best foods to fight cancer. Experts say that it helps kills the cancer cells in the body. Garlic also brings down harmful effects caused by over-grilled meats and by smoking.
- Berries: All types of berries including strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries help fight cancer. This is because they are loaded with antioxidants. Including berries in your breakfast is an effective way of fighting cancer.
- Cruciferous vegetables: Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and others in this category kill cancer cells. However, you should make sure you don’t boil these too much. Steaming them is a better idea.
- Mushrooms: These edible fungi boost your immunity significantly. They are recommended by doctors during chemotherapy. Stir-fry mushrooms are the best.
Photo Credits: net_efekt